"Painting is liquid thinking." James Elkins

"Painting is liquid thinking." James Elkins

Monday, March 3, 2014

New Work

Not always but most of the time, my new work is the most interesting to me. This untitled painting is 12" x12" using Flashe paint, an acrylic vinyl paint that dries flat. I like its velvety surface. The paint lies flat and shows no brush marks, a big departure from previous work. I don't have favorite works but I do have works that I like to come back to and think about. This is one of them. What keeps them in my mind is their intrigue, a questioning that keeps surfacing about how they were made and what they mean. I want the works to have that edginess I have been talking about, to subvert expectations. If you find this small painting both attractive and unnerving then I have accomplished what I set out to do, draw you in and then put you on the edge.

4 comments:

  1. Maggie, I just really adore the way you paint and talk about what you paint. I appreciate your explanation of the paint you used for this image featured here. I do feel slightly disconcerted by the way the paint has been applied on the black surface (if that is the color that went down first) and at the same time intrigued. I know what you mean about newest works being the most interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too love your explanation - I love the rhythm of the painting and the negative space. I understand about your newest work being the most interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I love your work and your writing about it!

    ReplyDelete