"Painting is liquid thinking." James Elkins

"Painting is liquid thinking." James Elkins

Friday, March 7, 2014

Blue Moon

January Moon, woodblock 22" x 22"

I took the dogs out for their evening jaunt and looked up at the sky tonight. We have been so weighted down by grey that I was startled by the deepness of the night sky and the tiny flickers from so many stars. The space of the night sky, the space of the blue ocean offer mystery, curiosity, and comfort. What I share through my work is a sense of wonder. I don't think my work provides anything more than the knowledge that we are human and that we share the same longings, to love and be loved. 

During an open studio a man walked into my space and looked at a large painting. He stopped and inhaled, then took a step back like he had been softly pushed. He remained there for the longest time looking at the painting while I sat quietly in the corner. Then he walked out with his head down. That's what I want my work to do, change a state of mind.

In my practice I weave beauty to mystery through paint. I honor the history of painting and work to expand its possibilities, to move it forward, and to give voice to the present moment.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story and how fortunate for you to see it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh really love what you wrote Maggie. Yes, yes, the human longing to love and be loved. And the story of the man who was somehow moved by your work, for a moment fully engaged with it and himself. Thank you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautifully put. and i love your january moon print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie...big love...the moon, you and your dogs out on their evening jaunt, and your work moving someone so simply, so surely...your words that bring me this story, moved me. A soft nudge waking me up more.

    ReplyDelete